NER support and discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

version 1.2 notifications

2 posters

Go down

version 1.2 notifications Empty version 1.2 notifications

Post  ner.d Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:30 am

After having 1.2 installed I had to disable notifications, I only have two but even with the notification set to 1000ms I get way too many. Unfortunately the server notifications happen much more often during the nightly backups. It doesn't really matter that much since I am collecting the numbers and that is what is really important. I was just trying to tune the notification to tell me when users have the very worst response times.

Would you take a few minutes to give us an idea how you are determining the response for one server?

Note: I was using response time notification once every 15 minutes and repeat only once every 15 minutes for our email server and our file server.

Either notification portion needs to be able to only run during business hours or I can't set a notification that would be meaningful since the backups cause so many notifications. The response time is much worse than daily user traffic. If I set it high enough to only see the rare highest water marks they would only happen during backups.

I suppose this could be solved with a script of some sort. I will try to solve it that way first.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

ner.d

Back to top Go down

version 1.2 notifications Empty version 1.2 notifications

Post  Admin Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Do you use a group in order to tight the filtering to only computers and protocols you want to monitor?
Using groups is very powerful. You can include groups into groups as many as you want to target accurately the wanted target of network resources.

When you ask a report on a period occuring at night do you see hight response time? In case yes, does it seems to you foolish results?
Currently there is no way to disable alerts on several period of the day.

The new way to calculate response time is as follow:
1. the measure could start only in case no trafic has been detected on a port during at least 6s.
2. response time is the time between a packet containning data is sent and a return a packet containning data is received.
In case 2 packets are sent or received in the same direction then measure is not done.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://ner-users.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

version 1.2 notifications Empty 1.2 notification

Post  ner.d Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Yes I used a filter, I had 1 monitor for the file server and 1 monitor for email server.

Over night the servers get backups done. This causes response time to soar. It makes sense that backups cause high response times so it is not foolish.

I need to let 1.2 run for a week or so, then I can find a baseline and get a better understanding of network/server performance.

If the file that held the notification rule was separated a script could copy it back and forth at a set time to have notifications happen only during work hours.

Thanks Patrick,
Joe

ner.d

Back to top Go down

version 1.2 notifications Empty Re: version 1.2 notifications

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down